Houghton High School Bulletin for Sunday, September 24, 2017
RETURN FORMS Please remember to return your orange student registration form to the office as soon as possible. If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, you must submit an application form each school year and these are due October 1st. Only one is required per family. These forms were included in your student packet.
JOSTENS ORDERS Attention Seniors: On Tuesday our Jostens representative provided information and order forms for caps and gowns and graduation announcements. He will return to pick up orders on September 29. If you were not here to get the information, we have some extra packets available in the office.
ROBOTICS MEETING The high school FIRST Robotics Competition Team will be having a new team member interest meeting on Tuesday, September 26, from 6:00-8:00 p.m. in room 202.
MICHIGAN MATH PRIZE COMPETITION Any student interested in taking the Michigan Math Prize Competition test must sign up with their math teacher or Mrs. Hocking by Tuesday, September 26. The test will be on October 10.
ACT/SAT REGISTRATION GUIDELINES
Today, September 22, is the deadline to register for the October 28 ACT test. Interested students should sign up on www.act.org.
September 27 is the late registration deadline for the October 7 SAT test. Interested students should sign up using their College Board account.
HOUGHTON ROTARY FULL-YEAR STUDY ABROAD
Are you a person of good character who possesses a warm personality and a desire to live abroad? Are you adaptable, well-mannered and want to experience life in other countries and cultures? The ROTARY YOUTH EXCHANGE program offers Houghton High School students interesting opportunities and rich experiences in another part of the world, and the chance to become fluent in a foreign language. They are now accepting applications for the new Outbound group, who will become well-prepared for this life-changing year during three orientation weekends (Oct. 13-15, 2017 at The Waters of Minocqua; Feb. 16-18, 2018 at The Plaza Hotel in Wausau; and July 12-15, 2018 at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich.), and then depart in August 2018 for a full academic year abroad as a Rotary Exchange Student. Basic requirements/information:
• Select from among 45 nations on six continents
• Foreign language knowledge or experience is NOT required
• Be in the Top 50% of your class academically (or maintain a 2.75 GPA)
• Age 15.5 - 18.5 at departure (Aug. 1, 2018)
• The cost: $6,500. This includes airfare anywhere in the world, insurance, orientations, blazer, books, supplies, tuition (often at private schools), room and board with a host family, and a monthly allowance of about $100 USD.
• Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors may apply!
• Be open to new experiences and cultural differences
• Attend three mandatory orientation meetings
Develop international understanding and goodwill
Become fully immersed in another culture
Share your cultural values with others.
IF YOU’RE INTERESTED IN THE MOST CHALLENGING ADVENTURE YOU’LL EXPERIENCE IN YOUR LIFETIME --
1. Complete the RYE Pre-Application is located on houghtonrotary.org Deadline is September 29th, 2017.
2. Submit to Kelly Jepsen via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), FAX (906-482-1232) or drop off (1104 College Ave Houghton).
Questions? Contact the Houghton Rotary Club: Kelly Jepsen RYE Officer 482-1210 or email@example.com
Are you interested in being a HOST FAMILY for a student from another country for the year 2018-19? Contact Kelly Jepsen 482-1210 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For more information www.rye6220.org
STUDENT TICKETS Student tickets for home athletic events are available in the office for $1 on game days. Buy your ticket early and save $2 off the price at the gate. This low rate is for Houghton students only.